Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Raspberry Trifle


Raspberry Trifle is awesome!


My mom, daughter and I had a girls night "in" recently and made this fabulous desert.
It is super easy to make. There are a ton of recipes out there, but I prefer my trifle to be on the simplier side. I don't care for the pudding or other filler. Give me just the basics.


Here is how we made ours.

Shopping list:
1 bag of frozen raspberries
2-3 TBSP seedless raspberry jam/preserves
a lemon or two
store bought pound cake
1 pint or 1/2 qrt of heavy cream (depending on how much whipped cream you like)
fresh raspberries to garnish the top (if available)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract

Prepare raspberry filling by draining thawed raspberries over a small bowl. Press on raspberries to extract as much juice as possible. Then add the juice of 1 or 2 lemons (depending on your taste preferences) to the juices that you extracted. In separate bowl combine raspberries and raspberry preserves. Whip the heavy cream with sugar and vanilla until peaks form.

Now you are ready to assemble your trifle. I found my trifle dish at the Christmas Tree Shop for $6.99. Slice pound cake into 1 inch thick slices. Make one layer on the bottom of the trifle dish. Drizzle with a bit of the raspberry lemon juice. Add a layer of raspberries and top with a layer of whipped cream. Repeat until pound cake is gone. We had a small pound cake and were able to make 2 layers.

The plan was to garnish the top most whipped cream layer with some fresh raspberries, but we just couldn't find raspberries that looked fresh enough. Oh well, maybe next time. This trifle still turned out great. My girl enjoyed licking the whip cream. :)

The trifle is delicious when the juices have had time to soak, so this is definitely a desert you can make ahead of time. If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...