Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hello ... and Happy New Year!

So sorry I've been away so long. But once Thanksgiving hits, the holiday season is in full swing with wholesale orders and retail orders ... and my "no work on the weekend" rule, goes straight out the window. I literally packaged up my last order on Sunday, December 21 ... and then it was mayhem trying to finish my own holiday shopping, clean my home for company, cook, wrap presents, make cookies and decorate for the holidays. I enjoyed every minute of it though, because for two whole weeks, I actually closed my shop on Etsy and my website. That's the first time I've done that since last Oct 2007 when I first opened. Let's just say it was a much needed break. I hope all of you enjoyed your December as much as I did mine.

Now that I'm back ... and I don't want this to sound like a glass-half-full story, but I was hoping my first blog post of the New Year would be to celebrate the launching of some fun new products and looking forward to getting my Valentine accessories in my shop, but I'm sure by now most of you have heard about the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). I'm all for improvements and laws that will help safe guard our children (I'm a mom too) against the dangerous substances that have been found in our children's products in the recent years. But this law as it stands now, is confusing and worrisome on so many levels. Please visit these two sites for well stated and easy to understand summaries about the effects this law, as it stands now, will have on so many of our beloved handmade children's businesses:

TheSmartMama.com by Jennifer Taggart
BuyHandmade.org

The Buy Handmade site has a link to Change.org where you can go in and vote to have this law amended and help save handmade children's businesses. Please vote, it just takes a second to register!

What does this mean for Pretty in Posies? The simple answer is, I don't know. It's just too early to tell ... but as it stands now, the CPSIA requires me to have the basic lead testing on all my products (yes, each and every type and style - that's a lot of testing which I cannot afford to do) by Feb. 10th 2009. This law affects all children's products (children's products are anything for children under the age of 12).

I'm still going to put up a few Valentine accessories ... so look for them soon!

Wholesale vendors, please contact me before placing any orders. Thank you!

No comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...