Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Technique Thursday ...using overlays to achieve a sunny, golden hue for your photos!

Here's a recent LO I did with all Nancie Rowe Janitz products from jessicasprague.com. You can find Nancie's shop here. Nancie's designs are so inspiring and artistic. Her products lend themselves beautifully to the art journal style of memory keeping.

Dream Girl
credits:

I love the photo, of my daughter, that I used on this layout. It has beautiful backlighting, but the photo itself wasn't as golden as I would have liked. A quick, easy way to achieve this is to use a photo overlay. Nancie has a whole line of photo overlays called Dreamy Photos. For this layout, I used Dreamy Photo v. 3.


I used the pink/green overlay in the middle of Nancie's preview. I liked the soft golden colors. The pinks and greens matched the layout color scheme nicely. 


Here's my photo before applying the Dreamy Photos overlay. See what I mean? Not as golden and sunny-warm as I would have liked.

In Photoshop, I resized the overlay to be slightly more square, so it would fit my vertical photo better. I wanted a touch of the light, back lite scenery to be visible in the crop ... but I also wanted to make sure I had her face all in there.

At this point the photo is simply masked to the shape of the overlay. None of the overlay colors are being applied to the photo, as it is below the photo layer. I just wanted the photo to have the grungy edges and the shape. I duplicated the overlay and pulled one of overlay copies above the photo, leaving one below as the clipping mask. This top layer also gets clipped in to the mask, but it sits above the photo. See my layers pallet.


And here is the result of adding the overlay to the photo ... a lovely dreamy, golden hue, to match that dreamy look in her eyes, compliment the sunny back lighting, and blend seamlessly with the layout color scheme!


If you are not familiar with using clipping masks with layers in PS or PSE, the image below shows where to place your cursor. You hover the cursor on the line between the 2 layers and ALT/click for MAC and CTRL/click for a PC. You will see the cursor change to a tiny arrow with a black filled in circle on top of a dotted half circle. (or something like that. that's the best I can describe it!) You will need to clip the photo to the bottom overlay layer. Then clip the overlay on top to the photo layer. Google working with clipping masks in PhotoShop or Photoshop Elements to become more familiar with this process.


And here is the finished image with a frame from the Retro Spring Collection. All products are 40% off this week!


Have fun clipping overlays to pretty up your images!  - xoxo jenn

No comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...